Calling all early years educators! It's never too early to start teaching road safety and Beep Beep! Day is a great way to engage children with the road safety basics through fun activities, while raising awareness among parents and the wider community about protecting children on roads.
Resources are available from Brake to help you run your Beep Beep Day! and reinforce those important road safety messages. Each year we hold two national Beep Beep! Days and encourage kindergartens, early childhood centres, primary schools, childminders and anyone else working with children aged 2-7 to sign up. The national dates are:
Wednesday 20 November 2019
Can't hold your Beep Beep! Day on one of the national days? Don't worry, just pick a date that works for you. Beep Beep! Days can be run on any day of of your choice.
Use the button below to register for free. Everyone who registers will receive a free electronic resources full of downloadable posters and activity sheets. There is also an optional hard-copy Beep Beep! Day bumper resource pack available to order for a small fee.
Planning your Beep Beep! Day
Every death or injury on the road is a terrible tragedy and it's particularly horrific if the victim is a young child. Beep Beep! Days help children, parents and your community to put road safety first. It's also great fun and helps Brake support road crash victims by fundraising for the cause too! So follow our easy steps to running your day and keeping road safety in mind year-round too!
1. Pick the date you want to hold your Beep Beep! Day on and register it using the button above.
2. Consider what learning you want to achieve. Pre-schoolers should never be allowed near roads on their own. They are impulsive, small, and their vision and hearing are still developing. But even at this early age, you can help give them the language and understanding of some key road safety lessons such as the importance of holding hands around roads, and of using child seats in vehicles.
3. Can you reach out to parents through your work? Do you have concerns about parents parking or reversing dangerously? Driving too fast? Not holding children's hands? Not using correct child seats? Could the children do something on Beep Beep! Day to help parents understand their responsibility for children's lives, while delivering this message in a positive, community-centred way?
4. Once you've decided your goals, get planning your activities! You are the expert, so you decide, but you can find some fun ideas to get you going here, and you can use the activity cards in your e-action pack too!
5. Fundraise for Brake! It's easy. In your newsletter, say you are running a Beep Beep! Day for road safety, to raise money for Brake. Invite parents to dress their children in their brightest clothes on Beep Beep! Day and bring along a gold coin donation for Brake. Use the poster in your resource pack to advertise it.
Then donate the money you've raised by clicking on the "donate" button at the top of this website.
6. Now you've started, keep going! If you don't have one already, write and implement a road safety policy. You can also follow these two links for information about keeping kids safe on trips away from your premises:
Organising trips with kids on foot
Organising trips with kids in vehicles (pdf)