Below is a template road safety policy that schools, kindergartens and childcare centres can use and adapt according to your needs. It provides a basis on which you can build a range of road safety initiatives to help students and others in your community to be safe. Use our guide to teaching road safety to develop your initiatives.
OUR SCHOOL/CENTRE ROAD SAFETY POLICY
- The safety of our children will always come first. Our most important priority is to prevent the death or injury of a child while in our care.
- If out and about with students on foot, we will always prioritise walking safely, in line with the latest safety advice.
- If transporting students by vehicle, we will always prioritise doing so safely, in line with the latest safety advice.
- We will teach road safety within our learning time, integrating into project work in a range of curriculum lessons as well as teaching separately in safety and citizenship lessons, and reviewing the amount and quality annually.
- (For establishments with available safe road environments.) We will teach practical pedestrian and cycle training at the roadside in line with best practice advice.
- We will get involved in useful awareness-raising initiatives that promote road safety in our wider community, such as Brake's Road Safety Week and Beep Beep! Day as appropriate for the age-range of children, and initiatives by others as applicable.
- We will aim to improve the safety and environmental standards of transport to and from our premises by having a School Travel Plan that aims to reduce use of cars and improve the safety of children on foot or bikes and that we implement and update annually.